Do you know the steps required to implement a performance improvement?
11/06/2020 9:10 AM by
The following steps will help to guide efforts to implement a performance improvement. The key is to only make a small change with each iteration and run a performance test to ensure that change resulted in an improvement.
- Establish a performance target (goal posts)
- Build an automated performance test
- Run the performance test to establish a baseline (the current performance data)
- Make a small change to the process
- Run the performance test again to measure the impact of the single improvement against the baseline
- If the change results in a measurable performance improvement, then keep it
- Repeat steps 4 to 6 until the performance target has been met
For bonus points when you're ready to deploy to production:
- Run the performance test against production to establish a production baseline
- Deploy the changes to production
- Run the performance test to measure the impact of the improvements
- Provide the performance improvement results to your product owner and bask in the shower of compliments coming your way for a job well done!
Working against a baseline and having a defined target will ensure that you are not prematurely or over optimizing your process.
Do you feel this rule needs an update?