CRM 2016 has many improvements over it's predecessors, including Power BI integration, improved navigation, and the new Outlook extension.
The procedure for upgrading CRM 2015 to 2016 is:
1. Apply Windows Update on CRM and Database servers
2. Go to CRM server | Deployment Manager | Disable CRM organization
Figure: Disable organization
3. Back up CRM organization database and configuration database
4. Go to CRM server | Control Panel | Uninstall "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions"
Figure: Uninstall CRM Reporting Extensions
5. Download CRM 2016 Server installation file and start the upgrade
Figure: Select the demo organization to be upgraded
Note: It's better to have an empty demo organization to be upgraded first, so that you can test if the server upgrade has no issues.
Figure: Successfully upgraded CRM server
Figure: Quick test on the demo organization
Figure: Upgrade business organization
Figure: Successfully upgrade organization
6. Go to CRM setup directory | SrsDataConnector | Install 'Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions"
Figure: Install CRM Reporting Extensions
Figure: Successfully upgraded to CRM2016
If using Email Router, do the following 2 steps to upgrade Email Router to 2016
7. Go to CRM server | Uninstall "Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2015 Email Router"
Figure: Uninstall Email Router 2015
8. Download CRM 2016 Email Router and install
Figure: Install required components for Email Router 2016
Figure: Successfully installed Email Router 2016
Figure: Configure Email Router
You're now ready to roll with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2016. If you had any trouble with this guide, please let us know with a rating of this rule.