Rules to Better Control4
More info at Smart Office & Smart Home consulting page. While running a Control4 showroom in Sydney, our customers and SSW consultants have come across some issues that you can see on Suggestions to Control4.
Do you check in on your home or office from your smartphone using the Control4 App?
The Control4 App turns your iOS or Android mobile device into the smart home/office command center. It connects directly to your system and allows you to control and manage all of your system’s features, such as lights, temperature, cameras, audio/video equipment, smart door locks and more.
- Figure: Use the Control4 App
- Throw away your remote controls and move on to technological freedom!
- Figure: Bad example, using any pysical remote control instead of the Control4 app.
- Good Example: Turning on the air conditioner using Control4
Installing Control4 on your phone
- To use Control4 on your phone and remotely control all services, you will need to follow these simple steps:
- Download the app from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/control4/id734435367?mt=8
or Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.control4.app&hl=en
2. Select "connect now" from the menu.
3. Contact your SysAdmin to set you up with an account for logging in.
4. Make sure you are on the same WiFi network as your Control4 System and that you have an internet connection.
- 5. Use your credentials to sign into Control4:
Once logged in, you will have access to your site's controls. These apps are customisable, but the ones we have at SSW are:
If you need to change the user or sign in with new credentials, you can use the following steps to do so:
1. Select the settings tab.
2. Select your network:
3. Select "Edit"
4. Select "Delete". This will reset the account and allow you to enter new credentials.
Some companies incorrectly share a user account and many people use it. This is easy initially but creates problems later on.
Each user should use their own account. If users share a single account, and you need to remove their access, you would then have to change the password and inform all other users.
If everyone is using an individual account, it is as simple as disabling (or deleting) their account.
Figure: Use the Customer Portal to add accounts for all users
If your project gets corrupted or if the changes you made caused unexpected issues, do you have a backup of your Control4 project to rollback to?
You should configure Control4 to automatically backup your changes to the cloud. You configure this in composer under Agents | Backup.
Figure: Configure backups in Composer under Agents | Backup
If your Control4 system is running slowly, there's a System Diagnostics tool that you can use to check CPU and Memory usage, and other details on the Control4 Director box.
To access Control4 System Diagnostics, open Composer.
Select Tools > System Diagnostics.
Do you know who is entering your premises, when and how? Keys or key-cards can be expensive, they can be lost and people can loan them to one another without any restriction.
Finger scanners are a good way of monitoring and restricting access to secure areas. As every person’s fingerprint is unique, so is the access to your building. There is no physical mechanism for unlocking the doors, which means you do not have to worry about lost keys or unauthorized access and it can keep a log of entry.
SSW uses an Invixium fingerprint scanner. The user interface is easy to use, you simply hold your finger down on the screen and it will either allow or deny you access. Other fingerprint scanners like E-Key use a swipe function that is less intuitive for visitors.
The Invixium integrates well with our Control4 Automation system.
- Bad example - E-Key needs you to swipe your finger down, this is less intuitive
- Good example - Invixium is easy to use, just hold down your finger on the screen to scan
Rules to Better Control4
Better Software Suggestions