Quality - Do you know how to request a "test please"?
5/11/2016 8:06 AM by
These are the steps you should take when request a "test please" :
- Find two free testers to send the email below
- Stop working on the project until you receive either a "pass" or "fail" email
- Create your "test please" following this template:
Subject: Test Please - Product Name v1.11
I am looking for bugs or approval to release this version.
I have done what I could for my code's health. E.g.
- Run SSW Code Auditor - it has [XXX] errors [If not 0, give reason]
- Run SSW Link Auditor - it has [XXX] errors [If not 0, give reason]
- Kept my eye on Application Insights
Specific issues to look out for are:
The latest version of [XXX] is at [WWW.URL.COM]
Keep in mind that a "test please" is an urgent task and that it should start within the hour.
What if you're doing a Windows Forms test?
Then you should also include this to the email:
- The latest version of [XXX] has been uploaded to \\frog\SSW\Download\[Application_verX-XX_beta.exe
- Test on a fresh VPC image of Windows
- Install into a non-default directory
- Check the installation folder for misplaced items
- Test Unit Tests via "Help - Run Unit Tests"
- (If Applicable)Test the "Create" and "Reconcile" buttons. Read Rules to Better .NET Projects
- Test open and closing forms and saving values
- Test most buttons and menus and links
- Disable your network connection and test again (check for unhandled errors)
- If your test fails, please rename the executable to [Application_verX-XX_failed.exe]
Note to developer: If current version is better than the last version you can release (even with a test fail) as long:
- The bugs reported in the test fail existed in the old version
- Two people have tested it
- The changes in this version are fairly important to get out
- You get to work on the failures ASAP
- For clients on fixed price contracts, this email marks the start of the 30 day warranty period.
- Use TFS to email the work items to the project manager and client:
- Figure: TFS makes it easy to export work items
- Figure: How the email is generated
Do you feel this rule needs an update?