Messages - Do you know how to put the technical info? (2/3 Description)
27/11/2012 3:37 PM by
The description should explain what the error was, followed by the why it occurred. Information that is useful for debugging should be included with errors where possible in a "Details" section. You should also avoid making the text unnecessarily wide. e.g.
- Figure: Bad Example - A message box that does not intuitively alert the user
- This is confusing, because it uses different terminology to the title ("estimate" instead of "quote")
- There is no punctuation
- The word "Error" is meaningless
- Line breaks are not present, so the message box is too wide and the text may wrap in the wrong spot
- Figure: Good Example - A message box that is clear, consistent and intuitive
- Terminology is consistent
- Punctuation is present
- "Details" indicates that this information is useful for debugging
- The text is split across three lines, and the technical information after Details is separated from the description of the error
Do you feel this rule needs an update?