Do you make sure all software uses English (Language setting)?
19/07/2019 3:46 PM by
When dealing with western people, you want to avoid having screen captures etc. showing foreign characters.
Let us look at some examples:
- Figure: Bad example - Chrome using Chinese as its language setting
- Figure: Good example - Chrome using English as its language setting
How to fix on a PC?
You want all screenshots you take to be showing English. Most of the time it is as simple as going Tools | Options | Language | Default Language = English (US).
In Chrome, you can follow these steps directly:
- Three dots bar at the top right of the Chrome window:
- Figure: Blank Chrome page showing the 'Settings' button, 3 small dots
- Click on Settings:
- Figure: Showing the 'Settings' page
- Click on Advanced:
- Figure: Advanced tab in Settings
- Click on 'Add Languages':
- >Figure: Add Languages to your current Chrome
How to fix on a Mac?
- Change the language in System Preferences. Go to Apple menu | System Preferences | Language & Region.
- Figure: In macOS it’s simple to change to English
- In Preferred languages, add English and select it as primary language:
- Figure: In Language & Region, add English
- Reboot the system and verify that English is now the primary language for all desktop applications.
How to fix your Google account?
You should also change your Google language to English as well. If it is not already, take a look at these steps:
- Go to www.google.com;
- Click on `Sign-In` or `My Account` if you are already signed in
- Figure: Google page without an account
- Figure: Google page with an account
- Click on 'Language & Input Tools':
- Figure: Language tools in Google account page
- Now click `Language` and search for English.
- Figure: Language picker
- Done! You changed your language to English.
How to fix on MS Azure?
- Figure: In Azure https://portal.azure.com it is as simple as clicking on the Cog icon
How to fix on MS Office 365 (rich client)
- Figure: The Office 365 cog does not show the language. Some cheap versions of Microsoft Office 365 only allow Chinese, so you need to uninstall and install the English version. It requires you to download a language pack which is a bit more of a hassle...
- Figure: If you do not have the English version. In Microsoft Office open the rich client application such as Outlook or Word, then install and configure as per the image above
How to fix on Office 365 (https://outlook.office365.com)
- Figure: If you have the Inbox, Sent Items etc in Chinese then you will need to follow these steps 1. Go to https://outlook.office.com
2. Click on "My profile" in the top right corner
- Figure: Choose 'My profile'
- 3. Click on "setting" button
- Figure: Choose 'Mail'
- 4. Click on Region and time zone
- Figure: Choose Region and Time. Then when you change the ‘Language’ with the checkbox enabled, the problem will be fixed. 5.In Windows10, Go to Settings| Language| Windows display language, click Windows display language and search for English.
6. Done. You have changed your language to English. Congratulations!~
- Figure: After completing the fix.
Do you feel this rule needs an update?