Do you use text rather than images where appropriate?
13/10/2015 11:11 AM by
Using text rather than images has multiple advantages:
- Downloads faster - a users patience extends to about 7 seconds.
- Cheaper to update - a simple find and replace.
- Discoverable by search engines - if people can't get to your site, what's the point of it being there?
- Readable on an iPhone - Images will either be resized or require scrolling, which would create difficulties for readability.
- <img src="Images/Heading_Welcome.gif">
- Figure: Bad Example - using image for text header
- <h1>Welcome to My Page</h1>
- Figure: Good Example - this text can be easily rendered by the browser and recognized by search engine
Do you feel this rule needs an update?