Do you know where to add design files for deployment?
24/05/2012 2:47 AM by
When a designer (or a developer) adds design/style files to SharePoint - care must be taken regarding where the files are placed:
- Some places are are not suitable because they are not good for deployment
- Other places may have permission issues - designers can't access them
- Some files are part of the site definition and should not be customized
So our rules are:
- Never modify out of the box SharePoint files in /Style Library/ - those files are part of the site definition, if you customize them they are hard to deploy
- Start with a clean, minimal masterpage
- Create and reference your own CSS files and put them under /Style Library/CSS/<client>/
- You may want to further divide your CSS paths according to the areas of the site that your CSS is designed for:
E.g. /Style Library/CSS/SSW/Clients/layout.css
- Designers can modify the XSL file as well!
put them under /Style Library/XSL Style Sheets/<client>/
Do you feel this rule needs an update?