Office environment - Do you know how to get approval for a purchase?
26/07/2018 5:21 PM by
When you need to spend money, don't assume you will get authorization – make sure you have approval before spending the money.
Let's have a look at the best way to get authorization:
- Send an email to your boss, manager, or financial controller (or whoever the appropriate person is in your company) outlining what you want to purchase and why.
- The email subject should be "Purchase Please - Request for xx"
- If appropriate, include 2 or 3 quotes (call them "Option A, Option B etc") aiming to keep expenses low, and which you think is the best option
- End the email with "Please approve"
- Wait for an email back with "Approved" (prior to the purchase, or you may not get reimbursed later)
- Forward a copy of the email to the financial controller with:
- Your manager's approval (in the history)
- Attach the tax invoice
- State how the payment was made (whether you paid it yourself and need reimbursing or if it was on a company credit card, and if so, which one)
- If this is for a client, include the Client ID/name
- If it is for a client, include if it is to be on-charged (E.g. please invoice - add 20%)
- Figure: Bad Example - this expense will not be reimbursed
- Figure: Good Example - this expense will be reimbursed, if David gets a reply from Adam
Do you feel this rule needs an update?