Communication - Do you go beyond text when using Skype/Team chat?
11/02/2019 2:42 PM by
Communication can be difficult (even if English is your first language!). It might be tempting to only communicate via IM, but this will not improve your skills or build a relationship as well as communicating verbally.Stop: Just using text in IM
Start: Asking ‘Can I call you?’ (Especially for complicated conversations)
...Start: Using a video call (if weak bandwidth just use it for the first 10 seconds and say "I'll turn off video to save bandwidth")
Start: It's always helpful to confirm things you're talking about with typed text during the call (Especially helpful for people with English as a second language)
- Figure: A group call should look like this
Here are some tips to have a better call:
- Answer the call with video
- Sound - Be ready with the headset already on (it looks disorganized plugging it in after you take the call)
- Sound - Check the sound quality of the microphone - you need a good mic and it should be close to your mouth - if you are using the laptop mic, sit in close.
- Video - Check the image quality of the camera. Beware of the angle of the camera - the ones with thin bezels now put the camera at the base, looking up your nose. Avoid them.
- Consider what is in the background
- Help the other person by taking a screenshot and giving them a mark /10 with good and bad feedback of the call quality and background.
- Get your video background right. Check
Rules to Better Branding
- Figure: Bad Example - ugly background eg. Air conditioner
- Figure: Good Example - good background
Do you feel this rule needs an update?