Do you deal with distractions?
13/12/2017 5:41 PM by
Keeping your mind on the job is so important if you're trying to solve a bug and finalising a task to meet this afternoon's deadline. These are a few practical suggestions which are standards in the SSW office to help me keep "in the zone".
- Programming in pairs means you won't cruise the web or play Solitaire, you'll be forced to focus.
- Don't interrupt people unnecessarily when they're working - create comprehensive standards for people to refer to.
- Avoid multi-tasking as much as possible, don't open one email, respond to half the questions, and then open another. Complete the first, and delete.
- Set your Browser default to "About: Blank" so you don't get distracted by msn.com.
- Minimise Outlook distractions.
- Minimise Skype distractions.
- Minimise Microsoft Team distractions
- People should avoid distracting you
Do you feel this rule needs an update?