Do you add stsadm to environmental variables
23/12/2010 1:19 PM by
In SharePoint 2007, it is a good idea to add the path to stsadm.exe into the environment variables on a SharePoint server so you can open a command prompt and run the tool from anywhere.
Figure: you should be able to quickly type ‘stsadm’. Believe me you will be typing it enough!In SharePoint 2010, you can skip quite a few steps by using the PowerShell Console.
Figure: Using SharePoint 2010 Management Shell
More Information for SharePoint 2007
- In the start menu type Edit the system environment variables and run the tool
Figure 1 - Search for "Edit the system environment variables” in the Start Menu
- In the System variables section, select Path and click Edit
Figure 2 - Under System Variables | Select Path | Click Edit
- Add the path at the end of the Variable Value
- For a SharePoint 2007 Server, enter:
;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\bin
- You may need to reboot the server
- You can now run stsadm from anywhere in the command prompt
Do you feel this rule needs an update?