Calendar - Do you know the ways to see others' calendars?
24/01/2019 4:31 PM by
While working in a team, there are three ways of seeing others' or team calendars.
Option 1: Using Outlook Calendar - See a person's calendar
You can share your Outlook calendar with another person or a group in Outlook. This option is useful when you want to share your personal calendar with others.
In the example below, Chris is going to share his personal calendar with the "SSWAll" group, so they can see what's he's doing from Outlook calendar.
- Figure: In Outlook, after connecting to Chris's calendar, now people can see his events on this week
Here's how to share your calendar (in this example, with a group):
- Figure: In Outlook, locate the calendar you want to share, right-click on it, and click "Properties..."
- Figure: On the permission tab, click "Add..." to add a person (or a group). You can also choose the details you want to share with them (Outlook 365 v1812)
If you are still using Outlook 2016...
- Figure: The old way (Outlook 2016 v1812 and older)
Then the other person will receive a sharing notification email:
- Figure: The invitees will receive a calendar sharing notification. Click "Open this Calendar" to open the calendar in Outlook
Here's how to open someone's calendar in Outlook (if they have shared it with you):
- Figure: In Outlook, click "Open Calendar" | "From Address Book..." (this opens the Global Address List)
- Figure: Find their name, ensure their name is on the list, and click OK
Option 2: Using the CRM Service Calendar - See everyone's calendar
When you want to see what's your colleague's is doing, you can use the CRM Service Calendar.
This can keep track of important things like client work and leave. See Scheduling - Do you know how to book developers for a project? on how to add a booking to CRM Service Calendar.
- Figure: The CRM Service Calendar shows everyone's booked in client work and leave
Note: This will only show appointments that have been tracked in CRM.
Option 3: Using SharePoint's calendars - See a team's calendar
You can also create a calendar in SharePoint which will be shared with the team in that SharePoint site. By sharing a calendar using SharePoint, new developers who have just joined the team can immediately look at the project's events (e.g. Daily Scrum meeting).
In this scenario, the scrum master of "SSWSugarLearning" wants to share the calendar called "Team Calendar" with his team.
To share a team calendar, you just need to give the calendar URL to the person in your team.
Tip: You can also connect the SharePoint calendar to your Outlook. Here's how to do that:
- Figure: In SharePoint 2016: On the "Calendar" tab, click "Connect to Outlook" to show the calendar in your Outlook account
If you are still using SharePoint 2007...
- Figure: The old way on SharePoint 2007
Do you feel this rule needs an update?