Long Process - Do you know that you should show a progress bar and allow users to cancel?
27/11/2012 2:05 PM by
The last thing a user wants is to be stuck waiting around for a long-running process to finish that they accidentally started in the first place. This heightens frustration with the application because:
- They do not know how long the process will last (adds uncertainty to the user experience)
- They cannot stop the process (creates lack of control in the user experience)
Instead, keep users happy with your application by:
- Showing status description information above the progress bar
- Allowing the user to stop the process at any time by clicking "Cancel" (or as a minimum, prompt for confirmation before the long running process starts)
- Figure: Good Example - Progress Bar with description and Cancel Button
- Figure: Good Example - Progress Bar with description and status, and Cancel Button
Do you feel this rule needs an update?